South Yorkshire Scouts has over 8200 members spread over the county. We have 6 districts spread over Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster. And have been developing #SkillsForLife since 1907!
As Scouts, we believe in preparing young people with skills for life. We bring communities together and contribute to society. Above all, we aim to build better futures. Each week, across the UK, almost half a million young people enjoy fun, friendship and outdoor adventure. They develop a sense of optimism and strong values as well as the leadership and teamwork skills that are more valuable today than ever before.
Across the UK; we are now building on our recent success; Scouting achieves remarkable things. Our previous plan, Scouting for All, inspired 834 new sections to start in areas of deprivation since 2013. We now help over 462,000 young people aged 6-18 (including 102,000 girls) get the best possible start in life. It inspired our community impact campaign, A Million Hands, helping over 250,000 young people make a positive contribution in their local communities.
Across South Yorkshire, we now want to go further and our plan is simple. We will support amazing leaders to deliver an inspiring programme and prepare more young people with skills for life. We’ll contribute to a better society. But most of all our plan is for young people. They deserve the best skills, the best support and the best possible futures.
Scouting actively engages and supports young people in their personal development, empowering them to make a positive contribution to society.
By 2023 we will have prepared more young people with skills for life, supported by amazing leaders delivering an inspiring programme, across a well-managed provision throughout South Yorkshire.
Across South Yorkshire, we will…
- be growing, more inclusive, shaped by young people and making a bigger impact in our communities
- focus on what matters; and the actions that will increase the impact of Scouting
- maximise our impact; doing less, doing it well, supporting and embedding
- make volunteering as easy as possible; keeping it practical and simple
- work together; sharing and collaborating in keeping with our culture
Our Strategic Objectives
We want South Yorkshire Scouts to continue to be a County that is:
- Growing: We believe Scouts changes lives so we want to give every young person in the UK the opportunity to join.
- Inclusive: Everyone, regardless of their background, should be able to participate in Scouts.
- Youth Shaped: Every young person should be shaping their experience and developing their leadership potential.
- Making a Significant Community Impact: Through community impact projects, Scouts makes a difference not just to the individual but to whole communities.
Our Pillars of Work
To meet our strategic objectives, we will focus on these three pillars of work:
- Programme: Ensuring we offer a fun, enjoyable, high quality programme consistently delivered and supported by simple (digital) tools.
- People: Building our team so that we have more, well trained, better supported and motivated adult volunteers, and more young people from diverse backgrounds.
- Perception: Scouting is understood, more visible, trusted, respected and widely seen as playing a key role in society today.